The Conquerors: Andrew Jackson - Conqueror of Florida DVD
SKU ID #68561
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: April 3, 2005
See how Andrew Jackson took on a superpower in defiance of presidential orders.
- THE CONQUERORS blends incisive scholarship and dramatic re-creations to bring iconic figures to life.
- Follow Andrew Jackson's defiant campaign into Spanish Florida.
- Filled with visits to important sites and interviews with leading historians.
He was a national hero, the commander who defeated the British at the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812. Five years later, he took on another European superpower in a private campaign that ultimately helped carry him to the White House.
THE CONQUERORS reveals how, in 1817, President James Monroe ordered General Jackson to stop Seminole attacks in Georgia. Instructed not to violate Spanish-controlled Florida unless in hot pursuit, Jackson invaded anyway, overthrew the governor, seized the military post at St. Marks, and executed two British citizens for inciting the Seminole. Along the way, he seized runaway slaves and destroyed the so-called "Negro Fort." Jackson's actions caused an international incident, and while some called for his head, Madison backed him and Spain ceded the territory to the United States less than two years later.