- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: September 27, 2004
Was the tragic loss of a ferry carrying illegal immigrants an accident or murder?
- ROVs dive on the remains--350 feet below the Mediterranean.
- Meet the reporter who exposed the story that authorities initially viewed with skepticism.
- John Chatterton investigates a modern mystery.
December 26, 1996. An unlicensed ferry attempting to smuggle 300 Indian, Pakistani, and Sri Lankan illegal immigrants to Italy disappears 19 miles off of Sicily. Only twenty-nine passengers survive. These shaken refugees tell a wild tale of being forced onto a rickety ferry by a drunken captain and colliding with a larger ship. With no wreckage found, the authorities derisively dismiss their account. But then fishermen begin to recover body parts in their nets...
DEATH IN THE MEDITERRANEAN speaks with the Italian journalist who broke open the remarkable story, and dives on the wreck of the ferry, surrounded by skeletons in 350 feet of water. As the story of the tragedy emerges, a troubling question comes into focus--was this an accident, or murder?