- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: September 2, 2003
Our diver's communication gear allows host John Chatterton to share with the archaeologist who first studied the Montana.
- Hear from the archeologist who first studied the Montana.
- Visit the site where one of the greatest riverboats ever made met her end.
- Dive on the wreck and see the story of the disaster written in the remains.
SKELETON IN THE SAND travels back to a time when the nation was still growing, innovation was in the air, and the railroads were starting to stake their claim as America's prime movers. Boats like the Montana were answering the challenge of the trains by growing ever larger, but navigation on the rivers was a constant challenge: migrating channels, low water, huge sandbars and dead tree trunks floating like icebergs were all routine.
But as SKELETON IN THE SAND reveals, the Montana fell prey to a different obstacle, and her end was extraordinary.
With visits to the wreck (accompanied by the archeologist who has conducted the most exhaustive studies of the vessel) DEEP SEA DETECTIVES relives her last moments and revisits a vanished era when riverboat steamers connected a far-flung nation.