- Additional Details
- Color: Silver, Pewter
- Made Of: Pewter, US Coin
- Weight: 3 oz.
Inspired by the Native American's arrowhead used for hunting, the 1800s Indian Cent Arrowhead Men's Pendant is masculine in detail. The arrowhead shaped pendant holds an 1800s Indian Head Cent minted from 1859-1909 featuring Liberty with a headdress. The arrowhead pendant is composed of a silver tone pewter and hangs on a 23 inch silver tone open link chain. A Certificate of Authenticity is included.
- Chain: 23”
- Indian Head Penny
- Minted 1859-1909
- Diameter 19mm
- Indian Cents minted from 1859-1863 and some in minted 1864 were minted of 88% copper and 12% nickel
- Indian Cents minted from 1865-1909 plus some minted in 1864 were minted of 95% copper and 5% tin (these coins are considered “bronze”)
- Designed by James B. Longacre
- Tradition has it that Longacre’s young daughter, Sarah, posed for the portrait one day while she was visiting her father at the mint. The apocryphal story claims that an Indian chief was there at the same time and playfully placed his feathered bonnet on her head. Supposedly, Longacre made a quick sketch, which he later used as a model for his copper and gold coin designs.
- The first coin to feature a Native American Indian.
Back to top