Dome Indian Head Cent and Natural Stone Pendant
SKU ID #430890
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Dimensions: 3/4" Length x 3/4" Width x 1/16" Height
- Made Of: Brass, US Coins
- Weight: 0.75 oz
Coin is an Indian Head Penny.
- Minted 1859-1909
- Diameter: 19mm
- Indian Cents minted from 1859-1863 and some in minted 1864 were minted of 88% copper and 12% nickel
- Indian Cents minted from 1865-1909 plus some minted in 1864 were minted of 95% copper and 5% tin (these coins are considered “bronze”)
- Designed by James B. Longacre.
- Tradition has it that Longacre’s young daughter, Sarah, posed for the portrait one day while she was visiting her father at the mint. The apocryphal story claims that an Indian chief was there at the same time and playfully placed his feathered bonnet on her head. Supposedly, Longacre made a quick sketch, which he later used as a model for his copper and gold coin designs.
- The first coin to feature a Native American Indian.