Engineering An Empire DVD
SKU ID #67581
Additional 10% off for History Club Members. Join Now
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: DVD
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 4
- Run Time: 564 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: Fullscreen
- Language: English
- Studio: A&E Home Video
- DVD Release Date: February 27, 2007
- Audio: ENGLISH: Dolby Digital Stereo
- Cast: Peter Weller
- Genre: Documentary
- Color: Color
Behind The Scenes Featurette
- Release Date: 2006
From the Parthenon and Tenochtitlan to the Great Wall of China and Chich+¼n Itz the ancient world created itself in bold strokes of ingenuity and ambition. Hosted by Peter Weller ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE examines the most magnificent and sophisticated civilizations in history through the lens of their astounding engineering feats. Walk through the narrow streets of ancient Greece and Carthage and follow the massive expansion of the Roman and Chinese Empires. Trace the rise of antiquity's greatest leaders and discover the architectural marvels and urban planning accomplishments that altered the course of history. Learn about Byzantine architects driven to glory during the Dark Ages and witness the construction of the Tunnel of Samos St. Peter's Basilica and Notre Dame. Abounding in cutting-edge technology stunning location footage and insightful interviews all 12 documentaries included in ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE chronicle the innovation and architectural brilliance that gave birth to modern civilization. DVD Features: Behind-the-Scenes Featurette
- GREECE: The cradle of Western civilization sustained remarkable technological advancement for over 1,000 years, including such masterpieces as the Tunnel of Samos and the Parthenon.
- GREECE: AGE OF ALEXANDER: After a century of tremendous accomplishment, Greece's territorial ambitions were stymied by constant warfare - until Alexander ventured abroad and initiated the Hellenistic era.
- THE AZTECS: The Aztecs became one of the greatest civilizations in history through brilliant military campaigns and technological mastery of their harsh environment.
- CARTHAGE: Find out how Carthaginian engineers harnessed their extensive resources and manpower to develop some of the ancient world's most groundbreaking technology.
- CHINA: Century after century, China's regal emperors mobilized immense peasant armies to accomplish unfathomable feats - including the most ambitious construction project ever accomplished.
- RUSSIA: From the Moscow Kremlin to St. Petersburg to the Trans-Siberian railroad, examine the architecture and infrastructure that led to the rise and fall of the Russian Empire.
- GREAT BRITAIN: Through the centuries, the British Empire used extraordinary engineering technology to become an industrial and military titan, giving rise to such inventions as the first locomotive.
- THE PERSIANS: The engineering feats of the mysterious Persian Empire include a water management system, a paved cross-continent roadway, and one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
- THE MAYA: By 900 AD, the once-glorious Mayan cities disappeared. Unravel the mystery surrounding this mythic civilization through its spectacular infrastructure and architecture.
- ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE culminates with volume 4 as it follows the rise of one of the greatest military strategists in history, one who spurred on some of the world’s most iconic masterpieces, and uncovers the brilliant gem of the Dark Ages: the Byzantine Empire. Finally, watch Italy magnificently reawaken and build on a scale not witnessed since the ascent of Rome.
- NAPOLEON: STEEL MONSTER: When France stood on the precipice of disaster, one of the most legendary military strategists in history arose from its ashes: Napoleon.
- THE BYZANTINES: As much of the world descended into the Dark Ages, the Byzantine Empire emerged with ruthless might and supreme ingenuity, ruling over vast swaths of Europe and Asia.
- DA VINCI’S WORLD: After the deep sleep of the Dark Ages, it wasn’t until the 11th-century that autonomous city-states emerged in Italy, revitalizing metropolises and paving the way for the Renaissance.
Governments may be established, countries may be born, but empires are built.
Leaving the dusty history books behind, ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE takes to the streets -as well as the sewers, mountaintops, jungles and beyond- to trace the magnificent physical achievements and technologies of past societies. Host Peter Weller travels around the world and, assisted by cutting-edge computer renderings and note-perfect dramatizations, far back in time to chronicle the innovation and architectural brilliance that gave birth to modern civilization.
Experience street-level life in ancient Greece and China; track the expansion of history's most ambitious cultures like Rome and Byzantium; and marvel at the touchstone achievements -the Parthenon, Tenochtitlan, the Great Wall, Chichen Itza, and many more- that defined the past and awe us to this day. Computer enhancements and location filming transport you to the very sites where empires thrived and collapsed.
ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE breathes life into the past, reanimates the achievements of the history's greatest civilizations, and illuminates the ingenuity and boldness of our forebears. This magnificent DVD collection of the entire series will leave you stunned and amazed.
ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE: THE SERIES, VOLUME I:
ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE: THE SERIES, VOLUME II:
ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE: THE SERIES, VOLUME III:
ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE: THE SERIES, VOLUME IV:
DVD Features: Season 1 Behind-the-Scenes Featurette