- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: A&E Home Video
- DVD Release Date: August 2, 2004
To others she was a freak. But to her friends and family, she was simply a person who achieved her biggest dream: becoming a woman.
- An intimate and revealing look at the life of the 20th century's most famous transsexual.
- Activists and intellectuals examine Jorgensen's place in the sexual landscape.
- Features archival interview with Jorgensen and recollections from those who knew her best.
It was an age of docility and contentment: America was riding the wave of growth and confidence in the wake of World War II, Ike was in the White House and Elvis was still something of a scandal. So imagine the reception that greeted George Jorgensen's announcement that he was going to have a sex-change operation.
BIOGRAPHY® draws on the recollections of friends and insights from activists and scholars of the sexual revolution and social change to trace the life and examine the legacy of Christine Jorgensen, the pioneering transsexual who became a lightning rod for those opposed to the self-expression she represented and an inspiration to millions of others grappling with their own identities. Respectful and revealing, this is a riveting account of one of the 20th century's most distinctive lives.