- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: September 19, 2004
Learn the true story behind one of the most storied battles in the history of the U.S. Marine Corps.
- Filmed on location in Morocco and aboard the USS Constitution.
- Interviews with leading scholars illuminate every aspect of the daring plan.
- The true story of the first battle fought on foreign soil by the U.S. Marines.
It is one of the most famous lines in martial music: "From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli." But while the words are familiar, the story behind them has largely been forgotten.
THE BATTLE OF TRIPOLI returns to 1805 to tell the remarkable tale of how a ragtag army of 1,000 men won a dramatic victory against one of the world's great powers. Led by diplomat turned general William Eaton, the force marched some 500 miles across the desert to free 307 American hostages held in Derna, Triploi's second largest city. Eaton hoped not only to free the hostages, but to end the practice of paying tribute to the Mediterranean kingdom to protect American merchant ships from pillage by the Barbary pirates.
Filled with period documents, original artwork and dramatic re-enactments, THE BATTLE OF TRIPLOI relives this historic engagement.
Awards and Nominations: