Modern Marvels John Hancock Center DVD
SKU ID #68952
- Standard Shipping: 12/18, 12 pm ET
- 1-2 Business Days: 12/20, 12 pm ET
- Next Business Day: 12/23, 12 pm ET
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: June 8, 2005
Get the ultimate inside tour of the Chicago landmark that took four years and 50 million man hours to complete.
- A step-by-step look at the creation of a monumental facility.
- See footage and photos of its controversial creation.
- Go behind the scenes at the centerpiece of Chicago's "Magnificent Mile."
A steel giant standing 1,107 feet high, the John Hancock Center houses 1,200 people. Join MODERN MARVELS® for the story of how a young architectural team created an innovative 100-story, multi-use tower. Though a construction crisis halted the project for six months, once work resumed it took just four years and 50 million man-hours to complete.
In the heart of Chicago, the John Hancock Center rises 100 stories above the luxury shops and restaurants that line the famous Magnificent Mile. It opened on May 5, 1970 with 237,657 square feet of retailing, 812,160 square feet of offices, 703 rental apartments (converted to condominiums in 1974), 507-car parking garage, and an ice skating rink. There are 1,250 miles of wiring and 11,459 panes of glass. Nicknamed "Big John", it cost $100-million and took 46,000 tons of steel to build, and this is its story.