Mystery of The Afghan Gold DVD
SKU ID #69027
- Standard Shipping: 12/18, 12 pm ET
- 1-2 Business Days: 12/20, 12 pm ET
- Next Business Day: 12/23, 12 pm ET
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 100 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: July 17, 2005
See how one of the world's most fabled treasures was found after centuries--and lost after decades.
- The true story of one of archeology's greatest treasures.
- Legend, politics and destruction blend in an unforgettable tale of triumph and loss.
- Meet the experts who have spent their lives studying this elusive trove.
It is one of the most valuable treasures known to man. Afghanistan's Bactrian Gold that back 2,000 years to a kingdom which fell before Alexander the Great in 327 BC. But in 1978, a team of Russian and Afghan archaeologists unearthed it.
THE MYSTERY OF THE AFGHAN GOLD reveals how, as Afghanistan fell into a downward spiral of destruction, warring factions fought to possess the treasure. Amidst the chaos, one man had the forethought to stash the gold for safekeeping in a secret vault that could only be opened with simultaneous application of seven keys, each sent to separate corners of the world. However, after 23 years of warfare, experts began to worry that the gold wasn't safe. And then the Taliban regime began a crusade to wipe out all cultural artifacts of its kind, including demolition of the giant Buddhas of Bamiyan. In the end, the US-led war on terror brought resolution to the mystery, one that serves as a symbol of hope for the war-stricken nation.