- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: November 2, 2005
Landslides, airport terminal collapses, and too brilliant (literally) design feature in this episode.
- The ultimate celebration and investigation of engineering excellence.
- For over a decade, MODERN MARVELS has brought grand stories to life.
- See how engineers have responded to the constant threat of mudslides in California.
Celebrating ingenuity, invention and imagination brought to life on a grand scale, MODERN MARVELS® tells the fascinating stories of the doers, dreamers and sometime-schemers who created everyday items, technological breakthroughs and man-made wonders.
It's another chapter of complex, deadly and controversial engineering failure. 3-D animation, forensic engineering experts, and footage help reveal what went wrong, and how disaster has led to improvement. In Sun Valley, California, weeks of record rain turn a crack in the middle of a street into a 200-foot long sinkhole. Months later, rain led to the Laguna Beach, California landslide, which destroyed 11 homes and caused millions in damage. On May 23, 2004, four people were killed when the roof of the new Terminal 2E at Charles de Gaulle International Airport in Paris collapses. And those are just some of the disasters featured in this cataclysmic hour.