Deep Sea Detectives: The Confederacy's Secret Weapon DVD
SKU ID #69478
You Save: $12.47 50% off
- Standard Shipping: 12/18, 12 pm ET
- 1-2 Business Days: 12/20, 12 pm ET
- Next Business Day: 12/23, 12 pm ET
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: October 4, 2004
Deep Sea Detectives John Chatterton and Melanie Paul, nautical archaeologists, and the Bermuda Maritime Museum try to dredge up the truth about her fate.
- John Chatterton searches for the remains of one of the Civil War's most confounding wrecks.
- The Deep Sea Detectives join forces with experts from the Bermuda Maritime Museum.
- Examine the accounts from survivors for clues to the ship's fate.
A key element of Union strategy during the Civil War was to cut off the Confederacy from vital supplies by keeping ships from southern harbors. To counter this tactic, the Confederates outfitted stealthy, fast and powerful ships known as blockade runners. The Mary Celestia was one such ship, and like many of her kind, she did not survive to see the end of the war. But her end has puzzled Civil War scholars for generations, for the Mary Celestia was broken on the reefs off Bermuda in September of 1864.
What was the vessel doing so far from the battle? What happened to her cargo? With one of Bermuda's most experienced mariners at the helm, how did she end up on the reefs? Working with nautical archaeologists and experts from the Bermuda Maritime Museum, the DEEP SEA DETECTIVES attempt to answer the questions that have confounded Civil War scholars for so long.