Modern Marvels: Engineering Disasters 18 DVD
SKU ID #69512
- Standard Shipping: 12/18, 12 pm ET
- 1-2 Business Days: 12/20, 12 pm ET
- Next Business Day: 12/23, 12 pm ET
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: February 8, 2006
Once again, MODERN MARVELS explores the cost--and important legacy--of engineering errors writ large.
- For over a decade, MODERN MARVELS has brought grand stories to life.
- The ultimate celebration and investigation of engineering excellence.
- Probe the fate of California's strange, inland Salton Sea.
Celebrating ingenuity, invention and imagination brought to life on a grand scale, MODERN MARVELS® tells the fascinating stories of the doers, dreamers and sometime-schemers who created everyday items, technological breakthroughs and man-made wonders.
MODERN MARVELS® returns to the ever-fertile ground of projects, plans, structures and machines gone wrong. First, we investigate the Army's Stryker Light Armored Vehicle to see whether competing interests, political pressures, and military policy put U.S. soldiers at risk. Next, see how development and other pressures are forever changing the strange, landlocked Salton Sea of California. In China, analyze the factors which contributed to a deadly explosion in the Sunjiwan coal mine. See how a labor-saving device used for decades exposed consumers to dangerous levels of radiation. And finally, even the most modern projects can prove disastrous, as the fate of three ironworkers killed during construction of the Milwaukee Brewers baseball stadium proves.