- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: April 26, 2006
Peel back the walls, head into space, and brave the ocean depths in this look at the ubiquitous material which never gets the respect it deserves.
- From pink fuzz to high-tech polymers, explore the surprisingly sophisticated world of insulation.
- For over a decade, MODERN MARVELS has brought grand stories to life.
- The ultimate celebration and investigation of engineering excellence.
Celebrating ingenuity, invention and imagination brought to life on a grand scale, MODERN MARVELS® tells the fascinating stories of the doers, dreamers and sometime-schemers who created everyday items, technological breakthroughs and man-made wonders.
It keeps us warm and cool; protects us and makes our world more comfortable. As simple as a pane of glass or as complex as the fuselage of a space station, it's all around us, but almost always out of sight.
MODERN MARVELS® explores where the past, present and future of insulation technology. Visit the manufacturing facilities of two of the most recognizable insulating materials--fiberglass and foam--and see how the ancient Romans and Greeks insulated their homes. By contrast, insulated concrete forms and gas-filled panels offer a peek into the future.
At home or in the office, on a space station or beneath the sea, insulation is essential for making our world habitable.