- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: August 15, 2006
Is the increasingly unpredictable weather of the last few years a sign of disaster to come?
- MEGA DISASTERS explores the worst of what could happen.
- Stunning computer graphics and actual footage combine to create convincing pictures of the risks faced by U.S. cities.
- Experts debate the potential effects of massive, global climactic change.
It has happened before, and it could happen again. What makes storms, earthquakes and other events into natural disasters is not how they occur, but where they strike.
MEGA DISASTERS asks the what ifs? no one ever wants to face. A masterful blend of actual footage, computer graphics and interviews with leading scientists and public safety experts explores the outer limits of what could happen if everything went wrong.
The "freak" weather of the last few decades--stronger hurricanes, more tornadoes, intense heat waves, to name a few--has signaled to scientists that the climate is changing rapidly and unpredictably. Events such as these were precursors to cataclysmic changes in the past. The great Mayan civilization was knocked out by drought in a few generations. The Little Ice Age battered Europe. Within a decade, freezing temperatures increased and incessant storms brought starvation, disease, and death to millions. Could this happen again?