- Additional Details
- Format: DVD
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 6
- Run Time: 720 Minutes
- Region: 1
- Aspect Ratio: Fullscreen
- Studio: A&E Home Video
- DVD Release Date: September 25, 2007
- Cast: Peter Weller
- Genre: Documentary
- Color: Color
- Release Date: 2007
Governments may be established, countries may be born, but empires are built.
THE HISTORY CHANNEL® is delighted to offer, in a single mammoth DVD set, every single ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE documentary ever produced! In addition to the spectacular regular-season episodes, we've included the Emmy®-winning programs, EGYPT, and the acclaimed follow-up, ROME. Now, those are some empires!
Leaving the dusty history books behind, ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE takes to the streets - as well as the sewers, mountaintops, jungles and beyond - to trace the magnificent physical achievements and technologies of past societies. Host Peter Weller travels around the world and, assisted by cutting-edge computer renderings and note-perfect dramatizations, far back in time to chronicle the innovation and architectural brilliance that gave birth to modern civilization.
Experience street-level life in ancient Greece and China; track the expansion of history's most ambitious cultures like Rome and Byzantium; and marvel at the touchstone achievements - the Parthenon, Tenochtitlan, the Great Wall, Chich'n Itz', and many more - that defined the past and awe us to this day. Computer enhancements and location filming transport you to the very sites where empires thrived and collapsed.
ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE breathes life into the past, reanimates the achievements of the history's greatest civilizations, and illuminates the ingenuity and boldness of our forebears. The fourteen authoritative and entertaining documentaries in this imperial collection are presented in the following volumes:
ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE: THE SERIES, VOLUME I:
- GREECE: The cradle of Western civilization sustained remarkable technological advancement for over 1,000 years, including such masterpieces as the Tunnel of Samos and the Parthenon.
- GREECE: AGE OF ALEXANDER: After a century of tremendous accomplishment, Greece's territorial ambitions were stymied by constant warfare - until Alexander ventured abroad and initiated the Hellenistic era.
- THE AZTECS: The Aztecs became one of the greatest civilizations in history through brilliant military campaigns and technological mastery of their harsh environment.
ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE: THE SERIES, VOLUME II:
- CARTHAGE: Find out how Carthaginian engineers harnessed their extensive resources and manpower to develop some of the ancient world's most groundbreaking technology.
- CHINA: Century after century, China's regal emperors mobilized immense peasant armies to accomplish unfathomable feats - including the most ambitious construction project ever accomplished.
- RUSSIA: From the Moscow Kremlin to St. Petersburg to the Trans-Siberian railroad, examine the architecture and infrastructure that led to the rise and fall of the Russian Empire.
ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE: THE SERIES, VOLUME III:
- GREAT BRITAIN: Through the centuries, the British Empire used extraordinary engineering technology to become an industrial and military titan, giving rise to such inventions as the first locomotive.
- THE PERSIANS: The engineering feats of the mysterious Persian Empire include a water management system, a paved cross-continent roadway, and one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.