Engineering An Empire: The Maya: Death Empire DVD
SKU ID #69887
- Standard Shipping: 12/18, 12 pm ET
- 1-2 Business Days: 12/20, 12 pm ET
- Next Business Day: 12/23, 12 pm ET
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: November 13, 2006
Join Peter Weller as he discovers the secrets to one of the greatest and most mysterious civilizations of the New World.
- Explore the glories of the Maya civilization.
- Emmy®-winning series hosted by actor and art historian Peter Weller.
- Discover the history and culture of ancient societies through their engineering accomplishments.
Peter Weller travels to Central America to explore the achievements of this mighty culture and to get to the bottom of its puzzling decline.
In this fascinating episode of ENGINEERING AN EMPIRE®, travel to the heart of Central America to analyze evidence of the magnificent feats of classical Mayan society. From hydraulics to astrology, architecture to mathematics, road-building to portraiture, the Maya achieved more than any other culture of the New World, and even rivaled the accomplishments of Old World civilizations.
Flourishing for two thousand years and dominating, at its heights, 125,000 square miles spanning five modern-day countries, the Maya were the pre-Columbian superpower. By the time Columbus landed, they were a disparate collection of subsistence farmers.
Where did they come from and what catastrophes caused the collapse of this innovative civilization? From the Temple-Pyramids at Tikal, to the royal tomb at Palenque, to the star observatory at Chichen Itza, this episode will examine the architecture and infrastructure that enabled the rise and fall of the ancient Maya civilization.