- Secrets of the Aztec Empire DVD
- Join archeologists in uncovering the mysteries of one of the great civilizations of the world. As many as a quarter million citizens lived in Tenochtitlan at its height. Mexico City was built atop the ruins of the Aztec capital, Tenochtitlan. The Aztec flourished from the 14th to 16th centuries [ read more ]
- 1491 New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus (Paperback) Book
- In this groundbreaking work of science, history, and archaeology, Charles C. Mann radically alters our understanding of the Americas before the arrival of Columbus in 1492.Contrary to what so many Americans learn in school, the pre-Columbian Indians were not sparsely settled in a pristine… [ read more ]
- Amelia DVD
- Two-time Oscar-winner Hilary Swank soars as the iconic aviator Amelia Earhart in this 2009 biopic. Earhart captured a place in history and legend in 1932 when she became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic. As her reputation soared, so did her relationship with her… [ read more ]
- Armageddon in Stalingrad September-November 1942, the Stalingrad Trilogy,...
- The German offensive on Stalingrad was originally intended to secure the Wehrmacht's flanks, but it stalled dramatically in the face of Stalin's order: "Not a Step Back!" The Soviets' resulting tenacious defense of the city led to urban warfare for which the Germans were totally unprepared,… [ read more ]
- Battle for Leyte Gulf The Incredible Story of World War IIs Largest Naval...
- Woodward, who served on the staff of historians of the US Navy during World War II, drafted this as a part of the Navy's secret history of the battle and had access to records denied to others. Here he pursues the battle geographically as well as chronologically, making sense of the largest… [ read more ]
- Christianity: The First Two Thousand Years DVD Set (Repackage)
- From the Crucifixion to the Crusades, the Reformation to the sweeping changes of Vatican II, CHRISTIANITY: THE FIRST TWO THOUSAND YEARS takes a comprehensive look at the events and people who have influenced and been a part of the epic journey that is the evolution of the faith. Drawing on… [ read more ]
- Citizen Soldiers The U.S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the...
- In this riveting account, historian Stephen Ambrose continues where he left off in his #1 bestseller D-Day. Ambrose again follows the individual characters of this noble, brutal, and tragic war, from the high command down to the ordinary soldier, drawing on hundreds of interviews to… [ read more ]
- D-Day June 6, 1944 The Climactic Battle of World War II (Paperback) Book
- The author of Eisenhower chronicles the events, politics, and personalities of this pivotal day in World War II, shedding light on the strategies of commanders on both sides and the ramifications of the battle. [ read more ]
- Elizabeth The Golden Age DVD
- Growing keenly aware of the changing religious and political tides of late 16th century Europe, Queen Elizabeth finds her rule openly challenged by the Spanish King Philip II -- with his powerful army and sea-dominating armada -- determined to restore England to Catholicism. Preparing to go… [ read more ]
- Flags of Our Fathers Heroes of Iwo Jima (Paperback) Book
- In this unforgettable chronicle of perhaps the most famous moment in American military history, James Bradley has captured the glory, the triumph, the heartbreak, and the legacy of the six men who raised the flag at Iwo Jima. Here is the true story behind the immortal photograph that has… [ read more ]
- Guadalcanal (Paperback) Book
- In the summer and fall of 1942, American Marines landed on the South Pacific island of Guadalcanal and began the slow, bloody work of defeating the Japanese empire. Their landing was significant not only for the outcome of World War II, but also for the conduct of war ever since, for the… [ read more ]
- In the Graveyard of Empires Americas War in Afghanistan (Hardcover) Book
- Afghanistan expert and RAND analyst Seth G. Jones watched as American optimism evaporated after the Taliban defeat in 2001; by 2005, a new “war of a thousand cuts” had brought Afghanistan to its knees. Harnessing important new historical research on insurgencies and integrating thousands of… [ read more ]
- King Leopolds Ghost A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa...
- In the 1880s, as the European powers were carving up Africa, King Leopold II of Belgium seized for himself the vast and mostly unexplored territory surrounding the Congo River. Carrying out a genocidal plundering of the Congo, he looted its rubber, brutalized its people, and ultimately… [ read more ]
- Last Emperor, The: The Criterion Collection (Blu-ray)
- Bernardo Bertolucci's sumptuous epic about the last monarch of China, "The Last Emporer: The Criterion Collection" (1987) is a feast for the eyes. When he ascends to the throne at age three, the Manchurian Emporer of China becomes more a symbol than a vessel of real power. As he matures, the… [ read more ]
- Manhattan Project The Birth of the Atomic Bomb and Its Creators,...
- The first collection ever of the writings and insights of the original creators of the atomic bomb, along with pieces by the most important historians and interpreters of the subject, is now in paperback. Born out of a small research program begun in 1939, the Manhattan Project eventually… [ read more ]
- Monarchy With David Starkey DVD
- Eminent scholar and energetic storyteller Dr. David Starkey ( The Six Wives of Henry VIII ) serves as your guide through nearly 10 centuries of royal rule in England. From the fall of the Roman Empire to the Restoration, Starkey vividly describes the human drama behind the throne, with all… [ read more ]
- One Square Mile of Hell The Battle for Tarawa (Paperback) Book
- The author of Pacific Alamo: The Battle for Wake Island furnishes a definitive account of the November 1943 battle for control of the Tarawa atoll in the South Pacific, between the 2nd Marine Division and Japanese forces, in a volume based on combatants' letters, diaries, and interviews with… [ read more ]
- Peasant Prince Thaddeus Kosciuszko and the Age of Revolution (Hardcover) Book
- Thaddeus Kosciuszko, a Polish-Lithuanian born in 1746, was one of the most important figures of the modern world. Fleeing his homeland after a death sentence was placed on his head (when he dared court a woman above his station), he came to America one month after the signing of the… [ read more ]
- The Berlin Wall A World Divided, 1961-1989 (Paperback) Book
- On the morning of August 13, 1961, the residents of East Berlin found themselves cut off from family, friends, and jobs in the West by a tangle of barbed wire that ruthlessly split a city of four million in two. Within days the barbed-wire entanglement would undergo an extraordinary… [ read more ]
- The Young Victoria DVD
- 1837, Victoria (Emily Blunt) is the object of a royal power struggle. Her uncle, King William (Jim Broadbent) is dying and Victoria is in line for the throne. Everyone is vying to win her favor. However Victoria is kept from the court by her overbearing mother, the Duchess of Kent (Miranda… [ read more ]
- Time for Trumpets The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge (Paperback) Book
- On December 16, 1944, the vanguard of three German armies, totaling half a million men, attacked U.S. forces in the Ardennes region of Belgium and Luxembourg, achieveing what had been considered impossible -- total surprise. In the most abysmal failure of battlefield intelligence in the… [ read more ]
- To the Gates of Stalingrad Soviet-German Combat Operations, April-August 1942...
- The confrontation between German and Soviet forces at Stalingrad was a titanic clash of armies on an unprecedented scale--a campaign that was both a turning point in World War II and a lasting symbol of that war's power and devastation. Yet despite the attention lavished on this epic battle… [ read more ]