- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: August 19, 2003
Trace the development of the ubiquitous materials that literally support the modern world.
- Modern Marvels® reveals the fascinating stories behind this mundane material.
- Trace the development of metal over thousands of years.
- See how micro-engineering will drive the next wave of advances.
The journey begins with the ancients, who learned how to extract and shape bronze and then iron into tools and weapons. It continues into the 21st century, where engineers are experimenting with designing new materials at a molecular level, literally creating new substances that can answer the needs of a rapidly developing world. It is the story of METAL, and it is also the tale of the modern world.
From the clang of a blacksmith's forge to the soaring framework of I-beams that form the skeleton of a skyscraper, MODERN MARVELS® looks at the many ways that metal is woven into the fabric of our society.