- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: October 19, 2004
A Stalin-era Soviet blunder and the Bhopal disaster highlight this look at engineering gone awry.
Successes are impressive, but failures often contribute more to our knowledge. Nowhere is this more evident than in engineering, where a simple miscalculation can prove disastrous, and it is almost impossible to hide the consequences.
MODERN MARVELS® returns to this sadly productive territory for ENGINEERING DISASTERS 10. This devastating hour features these five segments:
- 1. The 1984 Union Carbide debacle in Bhopal, India, which left nearly 4,000 dead.
- 2. The 2003 collapse of a 10-story parking garage at an Atlantic City casino.
- 3. A series of fires in Kansas during 2001.
- 4. Soviet dictator Josef Stalin's misguided attempt to create a massive canal.
- 5. One of the most puzzling disasters in maritime history.