Modern Marvels: Engineering Disasters 11 DVD
SKU ID #68701
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-344-6336
- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: October 26, 2004
- Scientists detail the impact of the invisible killer that was once a staple of the construction industry.
- See photos of the aftermath of floods that killed nearly 150,000 people.
- Experts examine the impact of high-profile disasters.
Successes are impressive, but failures often contribute more to our knowledge. Nowhere is this more evident than in engineering, where a simple miscalculation can prove disastrous, and it is almost impossible to hide the consequences.
MODERN MARVELS® returns to this sadly productive territory to examine the following five events: a deadly explosion in Cleveland that killed 128 people in 1944; the collapse of a skywalk that killed 114 people at a Kansas City dance competition; the riveting collapse of a San Francisco mansion into a massive sinkhole; the 1931 Yangtze River floods that killed 145,000 people; and the ''miracle mineral'' that turned out to be an invisible killer.