- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: December 8, 2004
Examine the Mississippi River disaster that was once the worst in maritime history.
- The popular MODERN MARVELS series analyzes spectacular failures and overlooked accidents.
- Computer graphics, location footage and expert analysis reveal what went wrong.
- Features commentary from NTSB investigators and structural engineers.
Successes are impressive, but failures often contribute more to our knowledge. Nowhere is this more evident than in engineering, where a simple miscalculation can prove disastrous, and it is almost impossible to hide the consequences.
MODERN MARVELS® returns to this sadly productive territory to examine the following five events: a series of construction errors causes a devastating flood that brings Chicago to a standstill; a deadly accident traps hundreds in a smoke-filled Alpine tunnel without ventilation; three boilers explode on a Mississippi riverboat, killing thousands; two buildings, halfway around the world from each other, collapse from the same type of shoddy construction methods--14 years apart; and a cockpit warning system malfunctions, causing a fiery, fatal crash before takeoff.