Modern Marvels Leather DVD
SKU ID #69568
- Standard Shipping: 12/18, 12 pm ET
- 1-2 Business Days: 12/20, 12 pm ET
- Next Business Day: 12/23, 12 pm ET
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: March 8, 2006
See how one of the world's most important and ubiquitous materials has been crafted through the centuries.
- Track the journey of a hide from cow to coat.
- For over a decade, MODERN MARVELS has brought grand stories to life.
- The ultimate celebration and investigation of engineering excellence.
Celebrating ingenuity, invention and imagination brought to life on a grand scale, MODERN MARVELS® tells the fascinating stories of the doers, dreamers and sometime-schemers who created everyday items, technological breakthroughs and man-made wonders.
Sometime at the dawn of civilization, animal hides were rubbed down with animal fat, making them more flexible, durable, and malleable. By the 5th Century BC, this "tanning" process expanded to include vegetable and tree oil washes, creating what's now known as leather--one of man's most reliable and versatile products. Today, leather is a staple of our daily lives and today's tanners have devised techniques to make leather more versatile, colorful, and luxurious than ever. MODERN MARVELS® visits current tanneries of conventional cowhide leather and also explores the more exotic leathers made from alligator, snakes, and even sting-ray. Our experts also detail the efforts to create synthetic leathers that are supposedly more convenient in today's fast-paced life.