Modern Marvels: Machu Picchu DVD
SKU ID #69085
Sale Price: $19.99
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: September 24, 2003
Head high into the Andes to explore the latest theories surrounding the majestic Inca site that confounds scholars to this day.
- A mesmerizing, all-access tour of one of the world's most impressive and important archeological sites.
- Experts reveal the latest theories about its purpose and construction.
- See rare footage from when Machu Picchu was first re-discovered.
It is perched on a mountain ridge in the Andes, 1,600 feet above a river valley - and 8,000 feet above sea level. A city of stone built without mortar, the wheel, or iron tools, it is so perfectly constructed that the thinnest knife blade cannot fit between the joints in the massive granite blocks that make up most of the structures. But why was it built? And why was it abandoned, apparently only a couple hundred years after it was built?
MODERN MARVELS® heads high into the Andes to explore the mysterious cloud city of the Inca, and meets the archeologists and scholars who are leading the efforts to reveal its many secrets. Well above the surrounding cloud forest, Machu Picchu likely had no commercial, military or administrative use, but many theorists now believe that it was a royal estate and religious retreat, and we'll examine the evidence that points to this conclusion.