Modern Marvels: Plane Crashes DVD
SKU ID #68698
- Standard Shipping: 12/18, 12 pm ET
- 1-2 Business Days: 12/20, 12 pm ET
- Next Business Day: 12/23, 12 pm ET
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: May 26, 2004
In-depth examinations of famous crashes highlight the extraordinary advances made in airplane safety.
- Hear from NTSB investigators and FAA officials.
- Examine the aftermath of major disasters like the crash of TWA Flight 800.
- See how data from previous crashes are used to develop the next generation of aircraft.
The history of aviation can be read in the wreckage of the planes that have failed in flight. But in the early days, when just a few people were killed in each accident, the crashes received little notice and the remains were rarely examined for clues as to what went wrong. Today, massive tragedies like the loss of TWA Flight 800 claim hundreds of lives, garner international publicity and lead to in-depth investigations by the FAA and NTSB.
PLANE CRASHES looks at the history of accident investigation, reliving cases such as the DeHaviland Comet, the first commercial jet airliner, which claimed over 500 lives in a series of crashes during the '50s and '60s. Trace the development of technologies like the "black boxes," which help investigators piece together the final moments of doomed aircraft, and see how the lessons learned from each crash are integrated into the designs of the following generation of aircraft in the ongoing quest to insure that every passenger reaches their destination safely.