- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: March 9, 2005
From ancient hunters to preserving human remains, MODERN MARVELS explores the art and science of taxidermy.
- Examine the changing technologies that have helped revolutionize the discipline.
- Hear from both sides of the debate over human taxidermy.
- Meet the world's foremost taxidermists and see how they recreate nature.
It began as a tool used by prehistoric man to attract animals to the hunt. Over time it became an invaluable study aid for the natural scientist and a popular hobby for hunters and fishermen.
MODERN MARVELS® takes a tantalizing look at the history of taxidermy, the craft of preserving animal skins and using them to recreate a still life of the animal. As fish and game regulations become stricter, the classic practice has been joined by fiberglass reproduction. And plastination has allowed quantum leaps in the last frontier of taxidermy. The once taboo science and art of preserving and displaying human corpses now draws crowds in Europe, Asia, and the U.S., proving the age-old practice continues to mesmerize us!