Modern Marvels: The Basement DVD
SKU ID #68596
You Save: $12.47 50% off
- Standard Shipping: 12/18, 12 pm ET
- 1-2 Business Days: 12/20, 12 pm ET
- Next Business Day: 12/23, 12 pm ET
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: April 26, 2005
From the homes of the ancient Romans to the retreats of suburban dads, explore the domestic underworld.
- You'll never look at your basement the same way again.
- See why the modern basement is often the most important part of the house.
- Explore basements through the ages, from Pompeii to the Renaissance to today.
Venture down that creaky staircase to explore the most misunderstood room in the house! From Pompeii to Pittsburgh, the dark, cool, and often forlorn spaces beneath our living quarters have always helped us live more comfortably.
Ancient Hittites, Phrygians, and Persians carved subterranean rooms for food, water, and wine storage, and for shelter from weather and marauders. For ancient Greeks and Romans, a basement greatly increased a house's value. Ruins of homes at Pompeii reveal the importance of basements in providing both heat and storage for rich Roman families. Renaissance architects placed kitchens, servant quarters, and laundry rooms there, hidden from the eyes of their aristocratic patrons. Colonial Americans expanded the practice, with a typical protestant thriftiness, and by the 20th century, the basement was a common feature of American homes.
Come along as MODERN MARVELS® demystifies the domestic nderworld.