Modern Marvels The Oakland Bay Bridge DVD
SKU ID #69604
- Standard Shipping: 12/18, 12 pm ET
- 1-2 Business Days: 12/20, 12 pm ET
- Next Business Day: 12/23, 12 pm ET
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: April 19, 2006
Trace the history of the Bay icon from Gold Rush era dreams to the 21st century.
- Meet the engineers charged with keeping this extraordinary structure viable for generations to come.
- For over a decade, MODERN MARVELS has brought grand stories to life.
- The ultimate celebration and investigation of engineering excellence.
Celebrating ingenuity, invention and imagination brought to life on a grand scale, MODERN MARVELS® tells the fascinating stories of the doers, dreamers and sometime-schemers who created everyday items, technological breakthroughs and man-made wonders.
From the days of the Gold Rush, there were dreams of linking San Francisco to the East Bay, but the waters of San Francisco Bay seemed too deep, and the distance too great.
MODERN MARVELS® details how, in 1926, California State Highway Engineer Charles C. Purcell was named to make the dream a reality. The solution he came up required anchoring two bridges to a massive support in the middle of the Bay, which itself would be secured to bedrock some 100 feet below the bottom of the Bay. In the decades since, the bridge has weathered earthquakes and the changing demands of a growing region, and remains a vital part of the Bay Area's infrastructure.
MODERN MARVELS® crosses the bridge with the men and women charged with making sure it stays that way for the foreseeable future.