- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: November 8, 2006
Got a light? Learn everything there is to know about one of the most popular stimulants in history.
- For over a decade, MODERN MARVELS has brought grand stories to life.
- The ultimate celebration and investigation of engineering excellence.
- Tobacco, the great unexpected treasure of the New World, has shaped history in fascinating ways.
Celebrating ingenuity, invention and imagination brought to life on a grand scale, MODERN MARVELS® tells the fascinating stories of the doers, dreamers and sometime-schemers who created everyday items, technological breakthroughs and man-made wonders.
Discovered around 18,000 years ago, tobacco was first cultivated in the Andes between 5000 and 3000 B.C. It is many things to many people: a vice, a comfort, a commodity, a killer, a livelihood, a sacrament. TOBACCO tells the amazing story of this near-mythical plant.
From the farm and plantation to the Surgeon General’s office, follow the tobacco road from seed to controversy. While tobacco has brought pleasure to countless smokers the world over, it has sent millions to an early grave. This full-bodied installment of MODERN MARVELS® also looks at smokeless methods of consumption and explores the promise of a new nicotine vaccine called NicVAX.