- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: July 5, 2005
Cross the nation on perhaps the most ambitious public works program ever--the interstate highway system.
- Hear from the engineers and workers who made the dream a reality.
- A ride through nearly a century of history.
- See footage of its construction and visit the first and final miles of the vast network.
It is perhaps the most ambitious project America has ever undertaken, as bold and expansive in its own way as the Apollo missions. In just a few decades, the infrastructure of the nation was transformed, and a new era in our history began.
PAVING AMERICA is the complete tale of the construction of our grand national highway system, from its beginnings in 1912 (it was conceived by auto and headlight tycoons) to its completion in 1984 (when the last stoplight was removed--and buried). We'll visit important projects and relive important milestones along the way and hear from the people who helped realize this expansive vision.