Saddam's Doctor: An Insider's Story DVD
SKU ID #69251
You Save: $12.47 50% off
- Standard Shipping: 12/18, 12 pm ET
- 1-2 Business Days: 12/20, 12 pm ET
- Next Business Day: 12/23, 12 pm ET
To Order by Phone Call 1-800-933-6249
- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: September 18, 2005
A reluctant witness to the Hussein era shares stories from the presidential palaces.
- Dr. Ala Bashir recounts a decade-and-a-half of service to one of the 20th century's most notorious despots.
- A unique, inside look at the toppled Iraqi dictator.
For more than 15 years Dr. Ala Bashir was a close confidante of Saddam Hussein. Bashir, a plastic surgeon, came to the attention of the Iraqi dictator for the pioneering work he carried out during the 1980s treating soldiers and civilians injured in the eight-year long war with Iran. He not only treated Saddam and his son Uday, but also tended to Saddam's various wives and mistresses. In those years with Saddam he was a reluctant witness to some of the worst excesses of the regime and of Saddam's family. As Baghdad came under American bombardment in 2003, Dr. Bashir disobeyed one last order from Saddam and made his escape.
In SADDAM'S DOCTOR, Bashir offers firsthand accounts of the brutality, arbitrary violence and the terror of Saddam's regime. He describes a ruthless despot consumed by paranoia, obsessed by fears for his own safety, deeply superstitious and resorting to fortune-tellers to relieve his doubts.