- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: January 30, 2005
See rare footage of test flights and meet the men who helped shape aviation history.
- A detailed look at the Soviet Union's efforts to conquer the skies during WWII.
- See original designs that inspired later aviation breakthroughs.
- Learn how Stalin's paranoia handicapped his brilliant engineers.
With his nation locked in a brutal struggle for survival, Josef Stalin carried out continual purges against perceived enemies at home, keeping Russian scientists, designers and engineers in constant fear of death or banishment to the brutal gulags.
SECRET RUSSIAN AIRCRAFT OF WORLD WAR II reveals how, despite the ever-present danger, Soviet designers mastered technical hurdles astonishing even by today's standards. Rare footage, photos and plans show their creations: a swept-wing, delta aircraft design, a rocket-powered fighter, a long distance fixed-wing aircraft which helped inspire the U-2 spy plane, a flying tank prototype, a submarine-bomber combination, and a canard-wing aircraft.
See which of their designs made it into production, and which inspired their successors to greater heights.