- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: July 26, 2005
Face down the entrenched defense on the South Seas island that saw the first ground combat between the U.S. and Japan in World War II.
- Awesome CGI sequences and interviews with leading experts bring the fight to life.
- Take aim from both sides of the firing line at some of history's most famous battles.
- Go on patrol with American doughboys and into the defenses of the Japanese.
Take aim from both sides of the fight. SHOOTOUT! examines the personalities, the weapons, the firepower, and the leadership needed to defeat the enemy. With 3D CGI animation sequences and testimony from scholars and experts, the battles come alive as they looked to the soldiers and shooters themselves.
On a small, southwestern Pacific island, U.S. forces confronted the Japanese on the ground for the first time in WWII. Here, beginning in August 1942, Americans and Japanese were brought face-to-face in close-quarter shootouts that became a turning point of the war. From the near-total annihilation of Colonel Frank Goettge's intelligence patrol to the battles of Bloody Ridge, both sides learned what the other was made of. While the Japanese were willing to fight to the death, the Americans were eager to offer them that chance.