- Additional Details
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 70 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: March 31, 2006
Head to the high seas to find out how the Allies finally destroyed the Nazi's most powerful battleship.
- Historians detail the breakthrough which finally made defeating the German warship possible.
- Includes interviews from surviving sailors who faced the Tirpitz in battle.
- Footage shows one of the most devastating weapons of World War II in action.
It was the Third Reich's ultimate weapon. Sister to the Bismarck, she was the most successful WWII German battleship and the pride of Hitler's Navy. Secretly built off the Baltic coast in 1939, the Tirpitz spent the next five years terrorizing the Allies in the Atlantic and Artic seaways, leaving entire convoys annihilated in her wake. With the odds against them, heroic Allied servicemen threw everything into sinking the warship: manned torpedoes, magnetic mines, miniature submarines, and dive bombers. But with the latest in radar technology and anti-aircraft systems, the Tirpitz was almost impervious to these attacks.
TIME MACHINE reveals how all that changed in 1944 with development of a new technology: the earthquake bomb, an Allied weapon that spelled doom for the terrorizing warship. This is the story of the epic bravery and technological wizardry that finally destroyed this war machine, a feat that took over five years and 36 attempts.