- Additional Details
- Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
- Rating: Not Rated
- Number of Discs: 1
- Run Time: 50 Minutes
- Region: Region 1
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Language: English
- Studio: History Channel
- DVD Release Date: May 22, 2005
See how Sherman's destruction of the South laid the foundation for a new generation of warfare.
- Travel the world to examine the conquests of history's greatest commanders.
- Each episode illuminates the mind and motivations of the figures who shaped the world to their will.
- Military historians trace Sherman's brutal advance across Georgia.
Tanks at the gates of Berlin, arrow clouds at Hastings, torches in Atlanta--the tools of conquest have varied throughout history, but the conqueror's bloodthirsty quest for land and power hasn't.
THE CONQUERORS visits the historic battlefields where commanders vanquished enemies with ruthless abandon, probing the minds of the men who shaped history to their will.
On November 15, 1864, Union General William Tecumseh Sherman left Atlanta with 62,000 men and headed toward the Georgia coast. Traveling the rail lines to Savannah, his army laid waste to the countryside, burning crops, confiscating supplies, destroying buildings, and ripping up rail tracks.
When Sherman reached his destination in December, the South had been dealt a blow from which it would never recover--and the brutal general had written a chapter in military history that would be studied by generations of commanders.